Seal coating asphalt pavement slows pavement deterioration by protecting against the enemies of a parking lot. However, for maximum benefit, seal coat needs to be applied approximately 12 months after the initial construction and then on a regular basis, about every 24-36 months, thereafter.
Seal coating every two or three years will significantly extend the life of your asphalt pavement for minimal cost.
Seal coating prevents oxidation. Asphalt pavement begins to deteriorate almost as soon as it is placed. Oxygen combines with the asphalt binder in the pavement and begins to break down the binder. Seal coating provides a protective barrier that protects the binder in the pavement from oxidation.
Seal coating stops weather damage. Moisture penetration is one of the leading causes of pavement failure. Seal coating forms a water tight film that prevents moisture from penetrating and damaging your pavement surface.
Typical Seal Coating Specification:
- Areas to be seal-coated will be
completed in sections to allow the
parking lot to be functional for
pedestrians and traffic flow at all
times when necessary.
- The entire surface is cleaned completely free of dirt & dust by power blowing or using mechanical sweeping equipment. Any vegetation found will be removed from surface.
- All grease, oil and gasoline spots are treated with a primer compatible with the seal coat materials to be applied following the manufacturers recommendations.
- All seal coating material will be applied in one coat in accordance with the manufacturer's procedure to ensure the best performance of the sealer.
- All pressurized spray application equipment will be capable of spraying pavement sealer with sand added. Equipment will have continuous agitation or mixing capabilities to maintain homogenous consistency of pavement sealer mixture throughout the application process.
- Hand squeegees will be used to apply sealer where needed.
- All necessary sand and any additives will be added to sealer according to the manufacturer's recommended procedure for maximum performance.
- NOTE: We highly recommend sealing cracks according to BSM specification prior to seal coating.
Preventative Maintenance Services:
Structural Maintenance Services: