Fabrics have been found to be an effective reinforcement material for the resurfacing of cracked or broken pavement as well. The fabric, applied with liquid asphalt adhesive, is installed over the old concrete or asphalt pavement where it forms a tight seal with the new asphalt over lay. Fabrics extend the life of the pavement by spanning the cracks and preventing them from propagating through to the new surface.
An important characteristic for proper resurfacing is good adhesion between the old and new surface. The fabrics permeable structure provides sufficient pore space to hold the liquid asphalt and prevent it from being squeezed out during rolling. The fabric, in combination with adhesive, also forms a waterproofing membrane that helps protect the base structure from seepage due to surface water.
Typical Overlay Fabric Installation Specifications
- During the parking lot inspection by a BSM Inspector the area(s) which require fabric installation will be marked.
- The area(s) are cleaned completely free of debris and will be edged from any vegetation found.
- To ensure a smooth surface without any depressions a leveling course of surface asphalt is installed where necessary.
- The residual asphalt binder (tack Coat), is uniformly spray-applied at a nominal rate of 0.25 gallons per square yard and is performed using truck-mounted distribution equipment.
- Immediately following the binder application, the approved fabric or geo-textile is installed, using truck-mounted fabric roll equipment while the tack coat is still hot, being sure not to allow wrinkling or folding of the fabric.
Preventative Maintenance Services:
Structural Maintenance Services: